Sunday, October 4, 2009

When ego's get in the way...

Tyler just had his birthday last week and for his b-day we decided he was old enough for a cell phone. He has wanted one for years and since now he is in Jr. High we decided to let him have his dream. Well all I can say is thank goodness for cell phones. Tyler on Friday had a sleep over at this friends house for his b-day. Saturday afternoon Tyler was still spending the day with his buddy and he called to ask if he could go to the skate park ( for anyone who doesn't no that is where they skateboard at these days). Well I had my reserves but decided I was just being paranoid and decided ya why not have fun and be safe. About a hour or so later Sean and I decided since the kids were gone with friends we would head to Walmart to get some grocery shopping done. We were almost there and the phone rang it was Tyler again. This is about how it went in complete calmness too...

Tyler: Mom

Me: Yes baby

Tyler: Ummm, well I ummm just broke my arm

Me: What? That is not funny to say son

Tyler: Well I am going to let you talk to someone else

Me: Oh my what happened are you OK?


Well then Tyler passed the phone off to someone at the park and he informed me that it didn't look very good and to come and get him. OK I was of course all ready in route to the park. Then within minutes we got the second call from Tyler's phone it was his buddy's uncle stating he was taking him to ER. So we met him at the ER and I knew soon as I saw it that he broke it. We got called right back got the x-ray done and meds and luckily they set it right there in the ER so we got lucky. I think next time he will think twice about going down a six foot drop on 4 wheels. Maybe he will stick to his legs for a while.

This picture did not do it justice to what it looked like you could see the bone bowed out on the side and underneath side of the arm. His poor wrist was so wavy looking, but he was so very brave and didn't cry he is a tough young man. Sean has now started calling him Tony (for Tony Hawk professional skate boarder).

4 comments:

Jade said...

Sounds like a good war wound to talk about for years and years. Way to go Tyler. I hope it heals fast.

larshannon said...

Do you guys need anything? That is a terrible phone call to get. Hope Tyler feels better soon.

Sarah said...

Ouchie! I have never broken a bone (and I don't want too). Poor Tyler, but I have to agree with Jade, chicks dig scars/war wounds. LOL Tell him that I hope he feels better and that I am proud of him for not crying.

Darin and Jena Bailey said...

Happy Healing and I am sure this is the start of a few more. Take care.